Applying for Admission to Challenge Early College High School
Each year CECHS accepts a new freshman class. Although we do occasionally accept sophomore and junior applicants, seats are contingent upon availability. The timeline below applies to incoming freshmen. Acceptances for upper classmen may not follow the same timeline.
All CECHS students must live within the Houston Independent School District boundaries with their parent(s) or legal guardian.
- Visit the Challenge campus during Challenge Discovery Days.
Tours take place the following days:
Mondays: November 12th and December 3rd at 4:00 pm
Tuesdays: November 13th and December 4th @ 4:00 pm.
Wednesdays: November 28th and December 5th at 4:00 pm
Saturdays: November 10th and 17th at 9:00 am
STUDENTS APPLYING MUST ATTEND ONE CAMPUS TOUR.
- Complete and return all sections of the
Applications may be downloaded here, or may be picked up
in the school office. Applications may also be requested and delivered by email.
Applications for admission to CECHS for the 2013-14 school year are due on (and must be postmarked by) January 11, 2013.
Applications that are received after the due date will be be placed directly on the wait list by date received.
The applicant will be contacted only if a space becomes available.
The following forms must be submitted:
- Completed application (all sections, including checklist);
- Current health record;
- Proof of residency (copy of a utility bill, water bill, or lease agreement).
- Academic Reference Form
- Copy of fall semester report card for current year;
- Copy of district and state achievement test scores for 2010-2011 school year;
- If applicable: Copy of Gifted/Talented, Individual Education Plan (IEP), 504, special education, and/or ESL/LEP information;
- Those students who will be considered for acceptance will be scheduled for an entrance interview. The Challenge staff will contact you for an interview. An on-site writing sample and math evaluation will be completed on the day of the interview.
- Students who qualify will be placed into a lottery for available spaces. Qualifying siblings of current students will be given special consideration.
- Letters will be mailed notifying students of their acceptance, non-acceptance or wait list status at the end of March, 2013.